1. Evaporator pressure testing in (multiple choice)
- Pr. testing in shell
- Leak test in vacuum pump and fittings
- leak test in distillate pump
- Vacuum testing in shell
2. PLATE type heat exchanger is preferred for following advantage
- high heat transfer
- easy to clean
- increased time between clean
3. For carrying out major work in tank –
- First aid in entrance
- entry/exit time of personnel
4. Increasing the rotational speed of a cargo pump the pump flow rate will:
- Increase in direct proportion to the increase in speed
- A decrease in direct proportion to the increase in speed
- The flow rate doesn’t depend upon the speed
5. Boiler water level control, controlling swell and shrink of the boiler with
- feedwater level
- steam drum
- water drum
- none of the above
6. The pressure produced within the oil wedge of a rotating journal is ____.
- the same as the pressure in the lubricating system
- less than the pressure in the lubricating system
- greater than the pressure in the lubricating system
- highest at the oil groove location
7. Which of the main shaft segments listed below, that are connected with the main engine, are coupled to the tail shaft flange?
- Thrust shaft
- Stern-tube shaft
- Intermediate shaft
8. Piping cross-sections over 30 cm in diameter are sized by the __________.
- inside diameter
- wall thickness
- outside diameter
- threaded diameter
9. Fabric type packing, such as flax or hemp, is best suited for _____________.
- low-temperature use
- high-temperature use
- use where alignment is critical
- packing valves with badly grooved stems
10. The ambient heat in an engine room which is identified by only a change in temperature is known as
- sensible heat
- latent heat
- total heat
- residual heat
11. The usual number of single-acting pistons used in a variable stroke axial-piston pump used for steering gears is _____________.
- 3 or 5
- 5 or 7
- 7 or 9
- 9 or 11
12.Heavy soot accumulations in an Auxiliary Boiler could be caused by _____
- water in the fuel oil
- excessive cycling
- high fuel oil pressure
- improper burner maintenance
13.An axial piston pump differs from a radial piston pump, like the pistons of an axial piston pump, is positioned _________.
- radially from the shaft
- parallel to each other and to the shaft
- parallel to each other but at a right angle to the shaft
- at an angle to each other and to the shaft
14. In reference to air conditioning, when air attains the maximum amount of moisture it can hold at a specific temperature, it is said to be _____________.
15. Positive displacement, helical gear pumps are well suited for pumping oil because
- stuffing boxes eliminate the leakage problems usually associated with other gear pumps
- it is not necessary to closely maintain design clearances this pump
- they are essentially self-priming and produce a high suction lift
- these pumps are designed with extreme tooth angles
16. The conical steel or composition cone installed on a propeller, known as a fairwater cone, provides which of the following benefits?
- Reduce turbulence
- Help with lubrication
- Protect against electrolytic corrosion
- All of the above
17. It is desirable for an auxiliary boiler safety valve to pop open and reseat quickly to give warning that excessive boiler pressure has been reached
- prevent wire drawing of the disc and seat
- prevent valve pounding
- provide sufficient blowdown
18. The purpose of the programmed purge cycle on an automatically fired auxiliary boiler is to
- cool the furnace to prevent pre-ignition
- remove explosive vapors from the furnace
- evaporate accumulated unburned fuel oil
- provide sufficient air in the furnace to allow ignition of the fuel
19. Short cycling of a refrigeration compressor refers to _____________.
- Frequently cutting out on overload.
- frequently starting and stopping
- running too fast
- running too slow
20. The emergency bilge suction valve is typically used _____________.
- to inject cleaning additives when the bilges are extremely dirty
- when the main condenser becomes fouled, in order to provide additional cooling water circulation
- to connect the rose box to the independent bilge suction
- if the bilges become flooded and they cannot be emptied by any other means
21. The by-products of oxidation, as a result of water contamination of hydraulic oil, are generally ____________.
- removed by cellulose type filters
- gums, varnishes, and acids
- always neutralized by oil additives
- harmless and have no effect on the system components
22. Which of the following describes the purpose of a striker or doubler plate?
- Provides a surface for the application of force, or the installation of machinery.
- Provides landing surface for the sounding bob of a tank sounding tape.
- Absorbs machinery vibration.
- Prevents valve stem over travel.
23. Which of the following statements represents the proper relative direction of flow through a globe valve?
- The direction of flow through the valve is unimportant.
- The direction of flow through the valve depends upon the type of seat design used in the valve.
- The direction of flow should be from below the seat.
- The direction of flow should be from above the seat.
24. A portion of the cargo of an LNG carrier boils off during each voyage. How the cargo boils off is normally handled?
- Compressed, condensed, and returned to the cargo tanks.
- Vented to the atmosphere.
- Burned in the boilers.
- Mixed with nitrogen and recirculated through the primary barrier.
- Burnt off in a controlled manner through a chimney smokestack from within the funnel.
25. In-Vessel construction, beam brackets are triangular plates joining the deck beam to a
- deck longitudinal
26. The cylinders and intercoolers of most low pressure air compressors are cooled by
27. A one-ton air conditioning system has which of the listed operating characteristics?
- It forces approximately 1000kgs of refrigerant through the evaporator per day.
- It forces approximately 1000kgs of air per hour across the evaporator coils.
- It contains approximately 1000kgs of refrigerant.
28. Which of the materials listed is used as the dynamic seal material on mechanical seals installed on most centrifugal pumps used in water service?
- Copper and carbon.
29. When using a handheld hacksaw, you should apply pressure only on the forward stroke ____________.
- only when cutting thin wall tubing
- only when cutting carbon steel
- only when cutting conduit
- at all times
30. An important consideration in selecting a lubricating oil for use in a refrigeration compressor is for the oil to ____________.
- have a high viscosity index
- mix readily with refrigerant
- have a high freezing point
- have a low pour point
31. If the intercooler relief valve lifts while an air compressor is operating under load, you should check for ____
- a defective pressure switch or pilot valve
- a leak in the intercooler piping
- leakage through the low-pressure unloader control diaphragm
- leaking high pressure discharge valves
32. Latent heat can be defined as the heat which must be added to a substance in order to change it from a
- solid to liquid
- liquid to vapor
- solid to vapor
- all of the above
33. The designation “schedule 80 extra strong ” refers to ____________.
- weight of steel plate
- tensile strength of bolts
- piping wall thickness
- tube bursting strength
34. Tapping threads into a blind hole should be finished by using a ______
- short tap
- taper tap
- plug tap
- bottoming tap
35. Distilled water from an evaporator maybe discharged into a potable water tank
- through a detachable hose connection
- after passing through an activated charcoal filter
- after chemical analysis shows it is fit for consumption
- through a solenoid operated three-way valve
36. The factors that determine the service life of packing in a pump will include which of the following conditions?
- type of pump
- condition of the shaft
- length of time in use
- all of the above
37. Personnel working with refrigeration systems and subject to the exposure of refrigerants should wear _______________.
- face shield
- a respirator
- rubber gloves
- an all-purpose gas mask
38. Which of the listed problems is occurring if a coil type high-pressure evaporator constantly requires an increase in the coil steam pressure in order to maintain capacity?
- The brine density is improper.
- Heat transfer surfaces are being layered with scale.
- The impure distillate is being produced.
- Shell vapor pressure is constantly decreasing.
39. The ability of a metal to be hammered, or rolled out is called its ___________.
40. One characteristic of a lubricating oil adversely affecting the results of centrifuging is ____________.
- high TBN value
- low oil floc point
- low oil Demulsibility
- low oil neutralization number
41. Which of the devices listed prevents water from entering a ship’s hull via the propulsion shaft?
- Stern tube packing or mechanical shaft seal
- Deflector ring and drain
- Spring bearings
- Oiler rings
42. With reference to a vessel’s structural integrity, the most significant characteristic of a cryogenic liquid is its ______________.
- capability of causing brittle fractures
- highly corrosive action on mild steel
- vapor cloud which reacts violently with saltwater
- toxicity at atmospheric pressure
43. The heat required to change a substance from a solid to a liquid while at its freezing temperature, is known as the latent heat of _____________.
44. Which of the following problems occurring in a hydraulic system can be caused by the use of an oil having a viscosity lower than specified?
- Seal deterioration
- Fast response and hunting
- Increased power consumption
- Oil film breakdown
45. The only means of removing the latent heat of condensation from a refrigerant in the normal refrigeration cycle is by ________.
- passing it through the expansion valve
- condensing the refrigerant in the system condenser
- passing the gaseous refrigerant through the heat interchanger on the suction side of the compressor
- maintaining a high pressure on the system’s receiver
46. Which of the following statements represents the main difference between a stuffing box gland and a mechanical seal for sealing the shaft of a centrifugal pump?
- Packed stuffing box glands are subject to wear, but mechanical seals are not.
- Packed stuffing box glands must be cooled by the liquid being pumped, but mechanical seals do not require cooling.
- If packing fails, the pump can be kept running temporarily by tightening the gland, but if a mechanical seal fails it must be totally renewed to stop the leakage.
- The sealing surface of a mechanical seal is parallel to the shaft, but the sealing surface of a packed gland is perpendicular to the shaft.
47. In a shell-and-tube type hydraulic fluid cooler, the amount of heat transferred from the hydraulic fluid to the cooling water depends upon ________________.
- the temperature of the hydraulic fluid
- the flow rate of both the cooling water and the hydraulic fluid
- the temperature of the cooling water
- all of the above
48. The presence of scale and dirt on the saltwater side of lube oil cooler is usually indicated by ___________.
- clogged lube oil strainers
- seawater leaking into the lube oil system
- decreasing lube oil pressure
- gradually increasing lube oil temperature
49. The charging of a refrigerating system should be carried out by adding _____________.
- refrigerant vapor to the receiver only
- liquid refrigerant to the low side only
- liquid refrigerant to the high side only
- liquid refrigerant to the high or low side
50. A leaking suction valve in the second stage of a two-stage, high pressure, Air compressor can cause excessively high ________________.
- second stage discharge pressure
- first stage discharge pressure
- pressure in the after cooler
- compressor final discharge temperature