Introduction To Merchant Navy:
What is the Merchant navy?
Merchant navy jobs?
- Pay Scale – As always pay scale comes in the first place in the list of advantages. As no other industry will pay at that range at the entry-level.
- Exploring the World – In my opinion, this is the greatest advantage of joining the merchant navy. You’ll get chances to visit almost every part of the globe for free of cost (Which again depends on the type of ship and trading route). In two years of sailing, I have visited some dream destinations like Los Angeles, San Fransisco, Singapore, Malaysia, Pattaya City Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong, and China.
- Healthy Environment – When it comes to onboard life, this is my first favorite. We get a healthy environment at sea. Beautiful Sunrise and Sunsets, Cold Breeze, Different Colors of Sea, Awesome Views of marine livings such as Dolphins, Seals, Different kinds of Birds, and many more.
- Long Vacations – This is also a high rated advantage. As we’ll get long vacations, we can spend time with our family and friends, we can plan trips with our friends and family. Personally, this helps me to explore my new hobbies such as blogging or web development.
- Savings – This comes as an additional advantage but only if you know money management. As we no need to pay for anything onboard we can save more.
- Tax benefits – As of now there’s an exemption for seafarers from paying tax. As they are considered as NRI. This may change in the future.
- If you like to work with machines, then you’ll love to work with the biggest machines ever.
- Onboard parties are my second favorite item in the list of onboard lifestyle.
- Love for Uniform- This was my eye-catching item before joining the merchant navy. And I feel it’s a pride to have those stripes on my shoulder. Because “you have to earn them, you can’t buy them”.
- As in every industry, the merchant navy also has some disadvantages. But in my opinion, they are worth to face if we want to enjoy the beauty of marine life.
- Social Disengagement – This is a challenging part of marine life. We need to stay disconnected from social firms for quite a long time. For many seafarers, this social disengagement turns them into alone, lonely, and lost. But if we have the art to turn that lonely moment into a beautiful peaceful moment this isn’t a challenge at all.
- Staying away from family and friends for a long time is a bit difficult for anyone. But thanks to technologies which are providing various means of communication with friends and family. And some of the companies do offer facilities to Get your family on board if you like to.
- Expensive Courses -We need to spend a bit more money to join and pass the initial stages. But I can’t say this as a disadvantage, it’s a risk. And if you are a risk-taker type there’s no loss in investing for your education.
As of now, you might have got a rough idea about marine life. So moving forward-
There are mainly two departments onboard ship,
- Deck Department.
- Engine Department.